Sunday, June 1, 2008

"When a bird breaks the line of the window it surprises me almost as much as a word."

In the acknowledgments for his latest novel, Zoli, Colum McCann suggests that it is "the novelist's privilege to play the fool, rushing in where others might not tread" (331). And so he does: the novel takes as its subject a Romani singer and poet, Zoli, who negotiates the tensions among tradition, self-expression, cultural heritage, and activism. Zoli breaks tradition by learning to read, by writing out her poems (a taboo in a culture that values transience and orality over fixedness and documentation) and this conflict is at the heart of McCann's project.



The book, in a similar fashion to McCann's earlier works, updates the genre of the historical novel. Romani culture during the mid- to late-twentieth century is a deftly selected topic for such an update. Allow me to explain. In his seminal definition of historical novels, the Marxist theorist György Lukács discusses the social and economic contexts that give rise to any given text. He insists that successful historical fiction exhibits an understanding of the "specifically historical," in other words, "the derivation of the individuality of the characters from the historical peculiarity of their age" (19). He points out that historical novels developed in part thanks to the paradigmatic shift that occurred during the revolutionary (and successive) wars of the Enlightenment: hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions, of soldiers from all backgrounds were exposed (suddenly and en masse) to vastly different cultures (think of those French peasants fighting in Egypt, in Russia). This exposure gave rise to a popular ability to comprehend ones own condition as specifically, culturally and economically situated (24). It makes obsolete the intellectual laziness of taking ones own condition for granted. Given his position, Lukács is a staunch supporter of realist historical novels insofar as they expose historical conditions as varied and particular. What I see in McCann is a shift in the notion of what a realist representation of an individual's historical condition might be.

Consider: Zoli is Romani. She is a marginalized member (since she breaks taboos) of a marginalized group, a group that (significantly) wanders. In the context of Lukács' observations, wandering can take on a political significance. In wandering, in maintaining a strictly marginal existence, Zoli achieves a broadened sense of her own historical positionality. The specificity and peculiarity of the spacio-temporal representations McCann makes, then, are never the product of an automatic assumption that his own historical position is the default.

McCann, himself, is a wanderer as well. Born and educated in Ireland, he now teaches and lives in New York. As a practicing (and prolific) writer, he travels to various countries on book tours, which is itself another form of wandering. I also think it's significant that McCann is something of an academic "wanderer." He teaches in the academic nether-world of creative writing. Situated not quite in the realm of the humanities, nor firmly in the world of the Fine Arts (a monicker usually reserved for Visual, Dramatic, and Musical Arts), creative writers are marginalized academics who, often, exist on the edges of fairly insular disciplines.

What I observe in Zoli (and in other novels by McCann, as well) is a kind of blending of genre: the historical novel meets memoir, prose meets the structural imperative of contemporary epic poetry. This blending, as I see it, demands a certain broadened perspective in the reader; one begins to understand that her expectations for what it is that a historical novel does are themselves historically situated (within academe, within a canon of endorsed literary endeavors).

• • •

I'm going to stop here, I think. This is, by far, the most scholarly thing I have written since I finished graduate school (in 2006) and, I must say, it took me by surprise as it was flowing from my fingertips. I did not sit down this morning—sun shining on the hardwood floors, Bon Iver on the record player, omelet ingredients just waiting for me to assemble them (goodness me, I'm hungry!)—intending to write what amounts to a kind of lazy and whimsical, yet academic, essay. And yet, here I am. Old habits die hard.

4 comments:

Dark Fantom said...

i realy liked this post, the book sounds fascinating. i especialy appreciated your musing on the concept of academic wanderer; what an awesome pair of words.

i also read the post on your other blog related to this, and found your journey along the 'edges' of academe very interesting. i hope you continue to post things like this review. i dont have as much personal connection to academia as you do, but i just love pseudo-academic blogs where people write less formaly and indepthly about narrower interests, rather than the all consuming, fully developed analysis of formal academic writing. seems like you have a real passion and background in that; which i greatly admire-- im just such a shitty technical writer lol, and love people who it comes natural to- you have a wonderfully natural gesture to your sentances. your writing makes for very pleasurable reading- though im sure you're aware of this

also i was very curious about your series of poems based on Charcot. i'd read about him some time ago (god knows why, in retrospect), and jillian mentioned to me this manuscript you were working on based on his work. have you finished it?

in summation: peace

Meghan Maguire Dahn said...

Zach - I've kept this comment up on my browser and reread it a couple times, because it makes me happy to know that you read so closely and engaged what I said in the way you did.

I used to joke with my friend Melissa that I should be paid to come up with the general ideas for articles and do all the research, but leave the actual writing to the academics who would have hired me. I don't think this makes a particularly feasible business plan, but it would be a lot of fun.

On writing - first, I haven't observed you to be a shitty writer - on the contrary! Second, [every fiber in me is kicking against admitting this, but oh well...] I really enjoy my writing, I find it pleasurable to read, but I'm never certain that other people do. I worry, sometimes (less in the case of this post, but a lot more on the other blog) that the style is too meandering for people to really latch onto.

I would LOVE to talk about the Charcot manuscript sometime. I get a bit like a giddy kitten when I'm around people who have actually read about him too. I'll get your address from J and send some stuff over if you'd really like to read it. I have a draft of the manuscript completed (although, it's really hard to ever fully commit to saying the book is "done") and I'm actively shopping around individual poems from the collection. Once a couple of those get homes, I can start entering manuscript contests and see if I can find a publisher.

It might be a bit more difficult than usual (as if we need to add any difficulty to the process of publishing a first book), because the way I envision the project the photographs from the hospital are central to the idea of the text. I'd love it if they could be reprinted in the book, but permissions for images are expensive and time consuming to secure, and I worry that publishers will not want to invest those kind of resources in a first book.

But that's further down the road than I am right now...

Dark Fantom said...

so sorry it took me so long to respond to ur comment. i make no excuse for myself, but have engaged in fervant and purifying self flagilation with the use of a strop and small claustrophobic closet.

i think the 'meandering' style of ur other blog works realy well actualy. its the perfect style of thoughts for a blog, and you do it with some incisive flair. i think its great u should like ur writing. i feel like a bit of a hybrid between a poet and a visual artist, and its been a long time observation of mine that often times poets disdain their own work and visual artists diefy it (lol)- neither's healthy, but the latter feels better. im not a mixture so much as a i either think my work is shit, or the shit. depending on when u catch me. lately, the shit, luckily.

and thanks for the compliment; i dont think overall im a bad writer, but on a technical, gramatical level, my writing can be realy unrefined- though articulate i think-- im just much more at home with poetry, where rules are mine to make, than memorize and follow. and i just always appreciate those who the mechanics of prose writing come so elegantly to, like yourself.

i would love love love love love love love to read any of your manuscript that you'd be interested in showing me. i def know what u mean about the "done" factor, but in any version that it is in, i'd love to read it. the circle of peers that i can talk visual art with is pretty big, if i can get them all in one state ever, but the circle of poets consists of one person, and she moved out into the wilderness for a couple years lol. id love to hear more about ur project and chat poetry anytime/everytime.

i love the that u wanna integrate photos into ur book- my ideal publishing situation would be larger format full-color books that integrate my visual art with my poetry, so i feel u on the publishing dilemma. i think ive decided i may need to approach some non-poetry publishers (if not self-publication) to get the result i want. im a little ways from crossing that bridge at the moment, too though.

so please do send work, and lets talk poetry. stat. but not via blog comments. u should get my email from j, or ill get urs from her.

ciao

Meghan Maguire Dahn said...

Zach - let's talk about all this! I can't wait...