Sunday, May 25, 2008

"Indulge me, a moment."

So starts the book - The Business of Memory: The Art of Remembering in an Age of Forgetting - that I started reading this week.


Magritte's Mnemosyne

I had bought the book thinking it sounded kind of dry, but that it would help me with research for my next book of poems. Well, it's positively captivating. The book is a collection of essays, all written by poets, that were given as talks at a Graywolf Forum. The poets are writing about memory and how they see it functioning in life, in perception, in cognition, in writing, in lots of things. What I love, though, is that each of these essays function like a keyhole through which you can spy these vibrant vignettes.

I love how poets write prose. They go about their essays, applying the structure they would to a long poem, so that connections between observations or episodes are not always apparent or easy. What this does for me, at least, is give my imagination a chance to get really invested in the text—I end up meandering over these instances and theories and musings that the poets have represented. Lovely!

Here's an excerpt from Sylvia Watanabe:
Nostalgia is memory looking off to one side. Any minute that thing you're not looking at might slide into view. Remember, my father says, or I say—but there is a place between now and before where we do not go. This is what we want to forget: Grandmother in the ambulance, Uncle empty of names.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Many of the tools and methods needed in your business can be simplified with Data colection software, from RFID to barcide and mobile solutions. Patient Billing Auditor ACS Riverside, CA They won't pressurise your contacts into joining, but, for any customer that joins, you will receive a monthly payment based on each customer's bill every month, for as long as they remain a customer. Alternatively, your contacts can simply visit the personalised website that the Utility Warehouse provides for you, where they can find out information about the Utility Warehouse's services and sign up online. Customers signing up on your website will be automatically recorded to your IR position.